Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/www/users/dwdqs/domains/pediatricassociatesofmobile.com/components/common.php on line 395
Pediatric Associates of Mobile: For Parents
COVID-19 UPDATE: Visit our FB page for the most up-to-date information regarding our offices and links to reliable resources for information

For Parents

Ouch!  It’s a fact of life that accidents and sudden illnesses happen.  If your child is stricken, don’t panic!  Call our office and let the receptionist or answering service know the situation so they can inform the doctor immediately.  Please use our main phone number, (251) 344-1502, which is answered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When calling after office hours our answering service will notify the triage nurse who will return your call, so please keep your telephone line clear.  If, in your judgment, a true emergency exists needing immediate attention call 911 then call our office for further instructions.

Here are a few tips on what to do in case your child has an accident.


Toxic Ingestions
 If your child is acting sick after ingestion of a substance you should call 911.

Of course you should always keep medicines (over the counter and prescription) as well as chemicals out of your child’s reach.

Do not give your child ipecac to make them throw up. This can do more harm than good and is no longer recommended.

If your child does ingest something you need to know this number. In fact we recommend writing it down and sticking it to the refrigerator or on the wall right by the phone.

Poison control 1-800-222-1222
Give them as much information as you can about the ingestion and they will instruct you on what to do next. If you have any further questions please call our office.

Ingestion of Foreign Body
If your child has ingested an object and is in pain, drooling, or having trouble breathing you should call 911.

If your child has ingested a coin the size of a quarter or smaller and is not having any pain or trouble breathing give us a call. Most objects this size will pass on through. You can look for the object to appear in the stool. If it hasn’t come out in a few days we may get an x-ray to see if it has passed.

If your child ingested something other than a small coin like a large coin, battery, pin, or any jagged or sharp object head to the ER.


Call 911 if your child is unconscious or seriously injured.

Bumps, bruises, scrapes, cuts and falls happen every day. Most of the time these don’t lead to serious injury and we are thankful for that. If your child is injured and you are not sure what to do you should give us a call. Depending on the injury we may want to see your child in the office or if it is after hours send you to the ER.

Car Safety
Automobile accidents are the number one cause of death in children. It is vitally important for your child’s car seat to be installed properly. For more information and a list of local places where you can get help installing your car seat and learn more about automobile safety please go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

Insect Bites
Here in Mobile, AL we share our outdoor and sometimes indoor space with al kinds of critters. Mosquitoes, spiders, wasps and bees can strike anytime.

If your child is bitten and there are signs of serious allergic reaction like difficulty breathing or swallowing or vomiting you should seek medical attention immediately or call 911.

Most if the time these bites can be treated at home with antihistamines and hydrocortisone cream for itching. If the site develops signs of infection like increasing redness, warmth or streaking please get you child in to be seen.




Expecting MomsImmunization InformationAccidents and Prevention
Home | Meet Us | Patient Services | For Parents | Expecting Moms | Contact

© 2021 Pediatric Associates of Mobile
Web Services provided by Dogwood Productions
3719 Dauphin St # 102
Mobile, AL 36608-1769
(251) 344-1502
Get Directions